What's in my cookie jar?

Peanut Butter Cup and Pretzel Terrine
(photo)



Ok so I know you are saying "in your cookie jar"??? It is not in my cookie jar, it is in fact wrapped up in my freezer like a little present waiting to be opened should an impromptu dessert need be had. I happen to know that you probably have some Halloween candy lying around in hiding from your children or from yourself. So why not turn it into something wonderful? Make a terrine, which is a fancy way of saying layered ice cream cake. I have two of these delicious delights waiting in my freezer for the right moment to strike(I love to be ready for a last minute party/celebration). And whats even more wonderful....virtually no cooking involved. These recipes are adapted and inspired by a Real Simple magazinze issue that featured things to do with ice cream, great huh? You can really take any leftover candy of your choice and layer it up to make one of these. Make sure to let me know what combinations you come up with!


Peanut butter cup and pretzel terrine

Ingredients

  • Peanut butter cups, chopped
  • Vanilla ice cream, softened
  • Pretzels, broken
  • Chocolate sauce/syrup

Directions

  1. Line a loaf pan with parchment, leaving an overhang. Press 1½ pints softened vanilla ice cream into the pan, top with chopped peanut butter cups, broken pretzels, chocolate sauce drizzle, another 1½ pints vanilla ice cream, ¾ cup broken pretzels, and an artful chocolate drizzle. Freeze until firm, at least 1 hour.
  2. To serve, remove from pan and slice.


Fleur de sel and snickers terrine

Ingredients

  • Snickers, chopped
  • Vanilla ice cream, softened
  • Fleur de sel caramel**
Directions

  1. Line a loaf pan with parchment, leaving an overhang. Press 1½ pints softened ice cream into the pan, top with chopped snickers, fleur de sel carmel sauce drizzle, another 1½ pints vanilla ice and an another artful drizzle with fleur de sel caramel. Freeze until firm, at least 1 hour.
  2. To serve, remove from pan and slice. Serve with extra caramel.
*Fleur de sel Caramel sauce
(adapted from Ina Garten's Carmel sauce)

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon fleur de sel (or kosher salt)

Directions

Mix the water and sugar in a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan. Cook over low heat for 5 to 10 minutes, until the sugar dissolves. Do not stir. Increase the heat to medium and boil uncovered until the sugar turns a warm chestnut brown (about 350 degrees F on a candy thermometer), about 5 to 7 minutes, gently swirling the pan to stir the mixture. Watch the mixture very carefully at the end, as it will go from caramel to burnt very quickly. Turn off the heat. Stand back to avoid splattering and slowly add the cream, salt and vanilla. Simmer over low heat, stirring constantly, until the caramel dissolves and the sauce is smooth, about 2 minutes. Allow to cool to room temperature, at least 4 hours (it will thicken up nicely).


Enjoy!

xoxoxo
d

p.s. sorry for the lack of photos...I seemed to have misplaced my camera :(

9 comments:

Ana Degenaar said...

Oh my! Thanks a ton for this recipes! I'll have tons of fun making them ;)

torrie said...

This is so perfect.

Every night since Halloween, the kids ask, "What's for dessert- ice cream or candy?" I don't know why they keep asking about ice cream; I think just because they know we have extra in our freezer at the moment. We answer, "Pick 2 pieces of candy." Tonight- I will be able to say, "Ice cream and candy!" ...totally doing this (My grandma WAY over-bought, plus their huge bags of candy...).

I forgot to tell you- the Oreos didn't turn out that well (more like wafers)! But my fault. I'm going to try again:).

torrie said...

Oh yeah, and let me know if you join Pinterest, so I can follow you!!

torrie said...

Making tonight instead! Figured we could enjoy it more on a weekend. I'll let you know what our special combo was:).

Estelle Hayes said...

Are you kidding me? Salt with Snickers with ice cream! Sign me up! That sounds amazing.

torrie said...

Sorry for the many comments... but wanted to share that Ryan made this over the weekend- hot fudge and Kit-Kat- Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

(enjoyed while we watched Biggest Loser... nice;)

Thanks again for sharing!

domestic dish said...

Ana- I hope you love it! So easy :)

Estelle- yes it is amazing!

Torrie- You could never post too many comments, I love hearing from you! I will definately have to try that kit kat combo(love that you ate while watching BL, I would do the same!!)...Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, I have a question...How does one prepare these, and actually keep them wrapped up in freezer? Because I'd be eating these single handedly off the plate they were made on. These might take the prize.

stephanie. said...

yum yum yum yum. cannot wait to make. thanks for the inspiration!

Post a Comment

Make my day. Lets dish...

Related Posts with Thumbnails

domestic dish. Designed by Liven Design