Fall recipe exchange and weekend recap.



It was a lovely weekend filled with projects, painting, bike riding, and family time. We throughly enjoyed the sunshine and hot weather. And although there are not many signs of fall here in southern California, I jumped at the chance to participate in the fall recipe exchange that Michelle at pretty mommy put together (thanks Michelle!)..AND Damris at kitchen corners was throwing a pumkin cook off! How could I resist?? I did have big hopes to show some multi-step pumkin fall recipes that I LOVE. However, I hosted an impromptu brunch yesterday for some of my favorite people and little people. Needless to say it took some of my steam. So I wanted to share an easy pumpkin lasagna. It is creamy, sweet, and savory (you must like pumpkin though!). This is a great fall side dish, or as the main event with a nice simple green salad. The pumkin aroma fills the kitchen as it bakes..you must try.


Pumpkin Lasagna
  • 1 pound 5 ounces  fresh mozzarella, sliced or shredded
  • 1 1/2 cups whole milk ricotta cheese
  • 1/4 cup Parmesan
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut in a few pieces
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 4-6 Swiss chard leaves, rough chop
  • 2 3/4 cups pumpkin puree**
  • 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1 tablespoon maple syrup
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • pinch pepper
  • 1 (1 lb) box lasagna sheets
 Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Shred 12 ounces of mozzarella and mix with the ricotta in a large bowl. Set aside. In a 2 quart pot, melt butter on low heat. Add garlic and brown lightly. Stir in pumpkin, brown sugar, maple syrup,  cinnamon, nutmeg (only add cinnamon and nutmeg if you are using store puree), salt and pepper. Stir until it’s all warm. Remove from heat and set aside. Smear a thin layer of pumpkin mixture on the bottom of a 9×13 glass baking dish. Place a splash  about 1/4 cup heavy cream on top. Sprinkle with nutmeg. Place 3 lasagna sheets across. Smooth a layer of pumpkin, followed by Swiss chard, and then  ricotta/mozzarella on. Repeat until you have 4 layers of pasta, pumpkin, chard, cheese, splash of cream. (You will use 12 lasagna sheets in total. Slice the remaining 9 ounces of mozzarella. Arrange in one layer on top. Sprinkle with Parmesan. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 35 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 5 minutes. Let it rest for 5 minutes before serving.

pumkin anticipation...
 ***I made my own pumkin puree by putting an entire sugar pumkin in the oven at 325 degrees F for 1 hour. After cooling, remove seeds and skin. Place in a food processor with 8oz cream cheese, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste. The cream cheese gives is a smooth creamy texture. My 3 year old loves to east the straight puree and calls it "pumkin pie"!

Here is what we had for brunch and why I slacked off on my great plans :) :

Herb asparagus and tomato salad

Figs with goat cheese and honey balsalmic
Cinnamon pecan pull-apart bread

Potato and basil fritatta with maple ham and bacon

Brunch was delicious and we sipped on Lillet and passion fruit mimosas...
 Thanks to everyone for the great fall recipes thus far, I cant wait to try Estelle's soup and make sure to check out look linger love tomorrow for another delicious dish! And find out who won the pumkin cookoff here.


xoxoxo
d

16 comments:

stephanie. said...

oh my! that lasagna looks amazing. and i love the pictures of your cutie pie kids. =)

Chassity (Look Linger Love) said...

Seriously, this really does look de-lish! Will make. Yum. Yum.

torrie said...

I have yet to cook anything pumpkin so far this season. This will be my first... tonight! I'll link your post up today- and definitely let you know how the lasagna turns out!

Love the picture of your daughter peeking into the oven. :)

domestic dish said...

Thanks ladies! I hope you love it as much as we do....cooking the whole pumkin was fun. My little E had so much fun peeking in on it! By the way Torrie, I just saw the journal off your site. Love that! I think I will order one today, what a fun idea. Great for gifting.

Unknown said...

This sounds sooooo good...can't wait to try it out this week!!

Damaris @Kitchen Corners said...

yum. Thanks for participating. Pumpkin lasagna sounds delish. If you don't mind can you chnage the url to this http://www.kitchencorners.com/2010/10/october-cook-off-recipes.html

if you do mind....don't worry about it.

xoxo

domestic dish said...

No problem Damaris! Sorry for posting it wrong. Let me know if it doesnt look right still!!

Estelle Hayes said...

Mmm, this sounds so good. I'm going to have to add this to my list of recipes to try very soon.

J said...

Yummy, can't wait to try this~

Jess at http://shadesofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Karen said...

This looks amazing! I'm going to get this on our family menu for Halloween. Thanks!

torrie said...

I made this last night, and it was extremely simple and Delicious! I just ate some for lunch and we'll be having it again for dinner tonight:). Our house smelled incredible while in the oven too! Thanks again... will definitely make again.

domestic dish said...

I am so glad you liked it Torrie!

Alisa said...

I persuaded my friend to make this with me and it was delicious!Just the smell of it baking made me want to bake this everyday!Thanks for this wonderful recipe.

domestic dish said...

Alisa- I am so happy you tried it!

Rebecca said...

If I had everything for this in my house right now I would SO be making some midnight lasagna!

torrie said...

hey there... thinking of making this for r's birthday, but since we're going to be gone in catalina all day, i'm trying to decide if i should make it the day before and put it in the oven as soon as we get home, or in the morning- before we leave. what do you think? do you you think it'll hold up?

Post a Comment

Make my day. Lets dish...

Related Posts with Thumbnails

domestic dish. Designed by Liven Design