Were going on a "chic-nic"...




It has rained, poured, hailed, and snowed...more than I think should, and I do think spring is near. I really love spring, so fresh and clean after the long winter months (okay not that long when you live in San Diego). Pretty Mommy was kind enough to put together another recipe exchange. This time: Lighter and Brighter. When I think of spring, I think green. And I have the perfect lighter and green recipe to share. Pesto pea salad, "chic-nic" style.

What is a "chic-nic" ? It is a chic picnic. I first got the idea when I spray painted this basket gold for a more chic look (which is my solution for too many a things, I think I have a gold/spraypaint problem).  This is one of my go to recipes, or a go to method really. All you need:


Pesto
 Store bought mixed with a splash of olive oil will do. Although, if you make homemade I prefer this recipe. Thanks Ina!


Peas
Frozen is what I use, although this is the only time of year that you can find sweet English peas at your local farmers market or grocer.


Spinach
Gently chop the spinach if you plan on serving it "chic-nic" style.


Bacon
Crispy bacon lardoons on top. Pancetta or roasted shrimp is lovely too.


Layer
Layer in mason jars. Starting with pesto on the bottom, peas, I tossed in some toasted pine nuts here, spinach, and finally bacon.

Just give your jar a little shake and you are ready to enjoy your "chic-nic", a little wine helps too. Our basket was also packed with bread, homemade butter, these cookies, and clementines. So fun and chic! Thanks again to Michele and the lovely lineup of recipe exchangers...


xoxo
d



  
Ps. Make my day and follow me on twitter or here :)

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I LOVE this - what a super, super fantastic idea - looks delish and gorgeous!
xoxo

Anonymous said...

That is such a good idea! Can't wait to try it when the weather warms up!

torrie said...

LOVE this idea!! I'm having a chic-nic ASAP... even if the "chics" involve just Hailey, Jacob, & Ryan.

FUN!! Aren't those cookies delicious?? We just made another batch of sourdough, and have some of the cookies left in the freezer... the menu's almost complete!

I know I've shared, but I've always wanted to try making homemade butter... Maybe after boot camp (so I'll feel less guilty =)- but then again, that didn't stop me from makin' the cookies and sourdough.

Brandi said...

What a brilliant idea for a picnic! And with some bread and fresh butter -- I'm sure that was heaven.

Estelle Hayes said...

Genius idea of tossing a picnic salad in a mason jar. Love it!

domestic dish said...

Thank you for the comments ladies!!
It was great. I love this salad, super yummy. And this is a good way to add some "chic" to a mom's day! Torrie- just go for it! Although I could use some help in the self-control dept. I may not be the best influence :)

torrie said...

Printing the recipes right now!

(don't know why I didn't catch that you meant "chic" - not "chick"... blame it on delirious boot camp brain??)

Anonymous said...

How long does a dish like this last in a jar in the fridge? Great ideas!!!

Post a Comment

Make my day. Lets dish...

Related Posts with Thumbnails

domestic dish. Designed by Liven Design